With CryEngine, you can create the most powerful free game engine in the industry, and to give creators all across the globe the tools to harness this power to create world-class gaming experiences, no matter their budget or team size. The most powerful game development platform is now available to everyone. It makes the learning curve less steep with Full Source Code. Clear tutorials, detailed documentation, and a strong development community.
This is a free game engine designed by the German game developer Crytek. It has been used in all of its titles with the initial version being used in Far Cry and continues to be updated to support new consoles and hardware for their games. It has also been used for many third-party games under Crytek’s licensing scheme, including Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 and SNOW. Warhorse Studios uses a modified version of the engine for their medieval RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Ubisoft maintains an in-house, heavily modified version of CryEngine from the original Far Cry called the Dunia Engine, which is used in their later iterations of the Far Cry series.
CryEngine For Free Game Engine Features
Take advantage of CryEngine’s legendary best-in-class visuals to blow players away.
- Area Lights: This type of light is explicitly modeled as an area with a specific shape, resulting in far more realism than traditional punctual light sources. Area lights deliver a better representation of how light behaves.
- DirectX 12 Support: Microsoft’s DirectX 12 low-level API allows developers to get tomorrow’s performance out of today’s hardware. Thanks to CRYENGINE V’s newly introduced DirectX 12 support, developers will be able to get the most out of CRYENGINE’s famous performance and state-of-the-art visuals.
- 3D HDR Lens Flares: To achieve a stylized look within CRYENGINE, a system called Composite 3D Lens Flares is used, producing flares similar to those used in the film industry in a simple and intuitive way. Using the built-in Flare Editor, it’s possible to load presets with a single click and to add to or remove elements for the perfect look.
- Motion Blur and Depth of Field: Motion Blur can be applied both to individual objects (object-based) and to the entire scene (screen-based), while depth-of-field effects can be defined easily within the Sandbox Editor. This software now implements the highest quality for these effects at a low-performance cost, across all supported platforms.
Sandbox & Tools
Sandbox and its suite of tools put the power to create stunning experiences at your fingertips.
- Material Editor: Make your models come to life using our Material editor. Using our palette of optimized shaders, your models have never looked so good, and for a fraction of the cost! Add your own shaders for even more power and flexibility.
- FBX Support: Unleash your creativity with CRYENGINE. Import your files from any Digital Content Creation tool using the FBX file format. It strongly believes in the artist’s freedom to choose the best tools for the job and will continue to implement this philosophy throughout the engine.
- Intuitive Level Design: Whether prototyping with the in-editor modeling Designer Tool, filling your level procedurally with the Vegetation tool, or taking advantage of any of the other numerous tools available, you’ll have complete control.
- Track view Cinematic Editor: The TrackView Editor is an embedded cut-scene editing tool for making interactive movie sequences with time-dependent control over objects and events. Creating cinematic or scripted events is easy, allowing the user to sequence objects, animations, and sounds in the scene.
Characters & Animation
Fill your worlds with the most realistic characters ever seen in gaming.
- Advanced AI System: Realistic representation of animated characters requires state-of-the-art AI systems to respond intelligently to the game environment and maintain the illusion of realism. This features powerful AI technology that handles character behaviors with modular sensory systems such as hearing and sight and supports the requirements of the locomotion system. The AI requires no additional middleware and is fully integrated within CRYENGINE.
- Multi-Layer Navigation Mesh: Multi-Layer Navigation Mesh (MNM) is an enhanced dynamic navigational data structure, used by the AI to path-find through levels. This system is seamlessly integrated into CRYENGINE Sandbox, meaning designers simply define an area where the navigation mesh should be generated and let the CRYENGINE MNM do the rest. MNM also supports real-time dynamic updates in-game, so that when an area changes, the navigation mesh updates accordingly without delay.
- Character Technology: CRYENGINE unites the most scalable, technically advanced animation and rendering systems to deliver astonishingly realistic characters for games in real-time. Creating believable, lifelike characters requires special effects and advanced shading features including:
- Screen-space sub-surface scattering for all supported platforms
- Lifelike iris parallax mapping for a truly realistic eye representation
- New unified shaders for character shadows and hair
As a true next-gen engine, It offers support for all of today’s high-end platforms.
Harness the power of the built-in physics and audio solutions for life-like interaction.
- Audio Controls Editor (ACE): The CRYENGINE Sandbox Editor now includes the Audio Controls Editor (ACE). This powerful tool allows for fast, flexible, drag and drop style creation and connection of: Events, Switches, States, and RTPCs, as well as granular management of pre-loading Soundbanks.
- Audio Components: Users can utilize the full power of CRYENGINE’s audio pipeline, including area-based reverb and ambiance blending, spot FX, and audio control manipulation, by using audio components.
- Audio Abstraction: CRYENGINE agnostically communicates with whichever audio middleware you prefer, such as CRI ADX2, FMOD Studio, Miles Sound System, or Wwise, via its audio abstraction. CRYENGINE also comes with a cost-free alternative in the form of the SDL_mixer implementation. The named middlewares are supported out of the box and can be enabled by flipping a switch.
Accomplish real-time visualization, interaction, and immersion with Cry Engine.
- In-Game Profiling: CRYENGINE is armed with profile labels all over the place. Take advantage of in-game profiling to immediately pinpoint performance issues when and where they occur. Profile labels follow a hierarchy that reveals instantly what modules and functions are involved. Further, reliable information about duration and occurrence quickly helps to evaluate their impact. Distinguish at a glance if performance is limited by CPU or GPU and reveal the culprit on a high level.
- Data-Driven thread management: CRYENGINE’s game engine source that platform-independent threading system pulls the strings for efficient work distribution across software and hardware threads. One central place for thread creation allows you to schedule and monitor parallel computation at runtime.
CryEngine Free Game Engine System Requirements
||Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (64bit)
||Intel Dual-Core 2GHz or AMD Dual-Core 2GHz.
||4 GB RAM.
||NVIDIA GeForce 400 series or AMD Radeon HD 6000 series.
Technical Specification of CryEngine
||CryEngine For Windows V 5.6
||English, Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, Chinese, German, Japanese