Audacity for Mac is a free and user-friendly application that enables you to record audio, edit audio files and export the result to the desired file format. It comes with a simple and intuitive interface that helps you to easily and quickly access the tools and features you might need during the editing process.
The app can record and play sounds and import and export WAV, AIFF, MP3, and OGG files. Edit your sounds using cut, copy, and paste features (with unlimited undo functionality), mix tracks, or apply effects to your recordings. It also has a built-in amplitude-envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications.
It comes with many useful features, some of which are:
- Records and plays audio files
- Supports various file formats like WAV, AIFF, AU, and Ogg Vorbis
- Import MPEG audio (including MP2 and MP3 files)
- Edit your audio files by cutting, copying, pasting, and mixing them
- Large files can be edited fairly quickly
- Add different effects like echo, phaser, reverse, and more
- Change the pitch without altering the tempo, or vice-versa.
- Record and edit 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit (floating point) samples.
- Various plug-ins support
- Can be used to convert old tapes into digital media
Audacity For Mac OS Features
- Manage input and output devices
- Monitor volume levels
- Timer recording
- Import and export to multiple audio formats
- Supports 16, 24 and 32-bit sampling
- Multiple keyboard shortcuts
- Change pitch
- Crate voice-overs
- Adjust volume
- Alter frequencies
- Spectrogram view modes
- Contrast analysis
- Allows you to add VAMP plugins
Audacity’s audio record for mac feature is one of the most important tools that allow you to capture audio via a microphone or mixer and even digitize recordings from cassette tapes, minidiscs or records.
The top toolbar offers you control over multiple input and output devices while displaying the level meters, which can be used to monitor volume levels during real-time. The meters prove their utility when recording from a microphone, input line, USB or Firewire devices.
You can record audio at sample rates up to 192,000 Hz and up to 384,000 Hz if you use the appropriate high-resolution devices. You can even record multiple channels at once at 24-bit depth and export your recordings in one of the supported file formats.
It is also capable to import existing sound files and allows you to edit and mix them with other files or your own recordings.
Pros And Cons of Audacity Fo Mac
|Easy to use and free cross-platform software
||Clanky and predated interface
|Features drag and drop editing
||Difficult for beginners to navigate
|Provides up to 32-bit depth sound quality
|Expands with additional plug-in downloads
|Supports multiple file formats
||2 GHz 64-bit processor
||At least 1 GB RAM (2 GB RAM recommend)
||Required: Lame MP3 Encoder Library
For lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM and 2 GHz processor (4 GB RAM on OS X 10.7 and later).
||Audacity For Mac V 2.3.2
||Audacity Development Team
Audacity for mac offers numerous audio effects that you can use to change the pitch of the track, remove distortions, statics, hum or hiss background noises, alter frequencies, adjust volumes, remove vocals and more.